Area of Specialty: Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is characterized by what are called positive symptoms (meaning symptoms of something being present that others don’t typically experience) and negative symptoms (meaning something that others commonly do experience is lacking).
The cause of schizophrenia is not well understood, but there are several factors that contribute to worsening of symptoms which can help guide treatment interventions.
Removing Obstacles in Schizophrenia
The most common obstacles to healing in schizophrenia are:
- Poor diet high in inflammatory processed foods with low nutrient density
- Lack of regular exercise
- Specific nutrient deficiencies or deficiencies caused by prolonged medication use
- Food allergies, especially sensitivities to gluten and dairy
Stimulate Healing in Schizophrenia
At Resilience Naturopathic, we have found that the most effective method to stimulate healing in schizophrenia is homeopathy. This unique system of medicine is the cornerstone to our success in the Resilience Method as it helps our patients find balance and stability.
With homeopathy, those suffering from schizophrenia
- Have progressively less intense hallucinations or delusions
- Have increasingly longer periods of mood stability
- Are able to progressively engage more in daily life
- Are able to progressively provide for their own care
- Gradually reduce their medication
- Get better as a whole person – mind, body and spirit
- Feel like themselves again!
Positive symptoms may include:
- Hearing voices or other sounds (auditory hallucinations)
- Seeing things that others don’t (visual hallucinations)
- Smelling things that others don’t (olfactory hallucinations)
- Feelings of being touched (tactile hallucinations)
- Beliefs that something is true even in the face of evidence otherwise (delusions)
- Belief that someone is out to harm you (paranoia)
- Disorganized speech or behavior
Negative symptoms may include:
- Lack of emotional response (blunted affect)
- Lack of enjoyment (anhedonia)
- Lack of ability to care for oneself or motivation (avolition)
- Reduced social drive
- Reduced speech
Reclaim Your happiness, joy, freedom, life
It call all starts with a simple phone call. Get in touch today and learn more about the Resilience Treatment Method.
A Case Study in Schizophrenia
Ryan* was introduced to Resilience Naturopathic through his mother Patricia who had conserved him. He had a long history of multiple medications and repeated hospitalizations. Ryan’s mother strongly believed that many of the medications and treatment received in the hospital had actual led to a worsening of his condition, and was very hopeful of being able to get him off his one remaining medication, Abilify™.
Ryan came to the visit with his mother, but he was only able to partially participate in his appointment. His sentences only made sense to his mother who had historical context and could put the disjointed pieces together. Ryan’s doctor reassured Patricia that in many cases of patients who have schizophrenia, the behaviors that are observed by others are often the most important for the homeopathic prescribing. Comforted, Patricia shared the challenges Ryan faced. He had been in both hospitals and jail as when he was not doing well he had a tendency toward lewd and aggressive behavior. He was known to touch himself inappropriately and would sing songs that would “make a sailor blush.” He had a lot of delusions about God and the Devil, not terribly uncommon in schizophrenia, however the intensity of how he experienced them were unique to fewer of those who have the condition. Finally, when very agitated, Ryan would sometime urinate or defecate inappropriately, and on worse case scenarios, he would smear the feces on walls. These behaviors are all effectively treated by the homeopathic remedy Hyoscyamus niger. Ryan started taking a 30C potency.
By his first month follow up, Ryan was significantly less agitated, had no lewd talk, no spreading of feces or urinating inappropriately, and he even made more sense to the doctor. Patricia mentioned that his social worker had also noticed this.
The condition of schizophrenia generally responds quite well to homeopathic treatment, but as a healing medicine, it takes time. Without treatment schizophrenia is a progressively degenerative disease, and regaining negative symptoms is a slow process. Ryan has required several changes in his remedies and continues to work with his doctors. He has started the reduction of his medication without the surge of symptoms that is commonly seen when discontinued without homeopathic care.
*Name and age have been changed to protect the privacy of the patient.
**Results of services will vary from person to person.